Level 4 @ S3
Pupils have to make a choice at the end of S2 about the subjects they want to study further in S3 and perhaps take it to the next level.
Pupils who choose Biology in S3 will study the science of living things and this will help develop a better understanding of the world we live in.
Involves looking at:-
- What are micro-organisms?
- How are micro-organisms used to make foods like bread and cheese?
- How do cells grow?
- How can cells be used to repair the body?
Here we look at:-
- How do plants grow>
- What industries use plants for profit?
- How do plants reproduce and spread?
- Why do we need fertilisers
- What is DNA?
- How can DNA profiling help solve crimes?
- How do our genes affect our future?
- Will cloning humans ever be possible?
We Take a look at:-
- How does the body defend itself against disease?
- How do vaccinations work?
- How is body temperature controlled?
- How do living things respond to changes in their environment?
- How do plants and animals depend on each other for survival?
- What affects whether a species survives or not?
- How do living things learn how to adapt to their surroundings?
- How and why do living things learn new behaviours?
Level 4 Biology is a natural progression from experiences and skills learned in levels 1-3.
In S3 you will explore and learn more new skills to help you develop your ideas further leading to certification at National 4 or 5 at the end of S4.