Level 4 @ S3
Pupils have to make a choice at the end of S2 about the subjects they want to study further in S3 and perhaps take it to the next level. Pupils who choose Chemistry in S3 will study the science of materials – the stuff that the world around us is made of – and chemical reactions – how we can change the world around us. In S3 pupils will cover 4 topics which will help answer questions like this :-
We look at:-
- How can you tell that a chemical reaction has happened?
- How can we speed up or slow down chemical reactions?
- What causes explosions?
- What do the enzymes in our bodies do?
- What types of rocks and minerals is the world made up of?
- How do geologists test rocks?
- How makes volcanoes erupt?
- Why do some things rust?
Fossil Fuels and Pollution
We focus on:-
- How are coal, oil and gas formed?
- Where do we get all our petrol from?
- What is causing climate change and how might it affect us?
- How can Scientists help protect our world against pollution?
Structure & Properties
- What is everything in the world made up of?
- How and why do atoms join together?
- Why is the chemical formula of water H2O?
- What makes some things solids, some liquids and some gases?
Level 4 Chemistry is a natural progression from experiences and skills learned in levels 1-3.
In S3 you will explore and learn more new skills to help you develop your ideas further leading to certification at National 4 or 5 at the end of S4.